Monday, January 19, 2009

Montessori Monday: Red and Blue Rods, Part 2

You can do addition with these red and blue rods. These rods (the small ones) come in a box with two complete sets and as you add bigger numbers, you will utilize both sets. When you explain the plus sign, you can say it means "put together" and the equal sign as "same as."

Here is a one rod combined with a two rod to show that it equals a three rod.

This is called an analysis. You start out with one rod; it can be any rod. Here, I chose the nine rod. And then you ask the child, " How can we make the nine rod?" and then place the eight rod underneath the nine rod. Then you would ask, "What else do you need to make it nine?" and then find the one rod and count, "One."
You keep on doing this with the smaller rods.
And eventually, it should look like this. You should try this a few times before presenting it to a child. There's at least one rod that doesn't fit and then the number of rods that don't increase as you "analyze" smaller rods.

I didn't take any more pictures, but you can totally introduce the > greater than and < less than symbol and show your child what rod is greater than or less than. I'm sure there are more extensions, but I'm going to stop here.

And don't forget to check out Shannon's Montessori Monday!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

This is just what I need right now! Thanks!

Oh and Thanks for the paint!

Dan said...

Most of the explanations were pretty clear, but one line near the end seemed a bit confusing to me: "There's at least one rod that doesn't fit and then the number of rods that don't, increase as you 'analyze' smaller rods." Maybe you could explain that some more; I don't understand what you're saying.

Becky said...

Dan,

It's hard to explain. I would have to show you. When I have time, I'll try to edit the post.

Dan said...

Actually, I think I know what you mean now, though it would've helped if you either got rid of the comma after "don't" or moved it before the "and."

If, say, your primary rod is 8 units long, the minimum number of secondary rods (the 2nd set used to add up to the primary rods) that won't add up to 8 will be one (that is, 8 vs. a secondary 9 won't allow you to equal the 8 without subtracting). So, "at least one rod that doesn't fit."

Conversely, bringing the primary rod size down to 1 unit long allows only a secondary 1 to match its length without going over. Since only one rod fits now, the number of rods that don't have increased (as the "analyzed" primary rods got smaller).

Seems to make a lot more sense to me now. =)

Becky said...

Ah, comma woes.

My bad.

mamabear said...

So what age group does this activity target? I can't fathom my three year old grasping it right now but Koko isn't THAT much older...... but for toddlers, a year or even 6 months can make a big difference.

Becky said...

Oh, definitely for older kids! I might try with Koko, but I doubt she'll get it.

The girl who painted trees said...

These are great things I can do with my number rods. I was wondering what to do with them exactly! LOL. Thanks!
http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com